Thursday, December 2, 2010

Taxi Ride Part 1 (1 hour)

  The weather is brewing outside and I have a feeling I am in for a dreary night.  My job makes me desire gauging my eyes out with a spoon that has been through the garberator instead. I am a professional transport expert or in layman's terms a cab driver. You may think it is a slack job, sadly you’re mistaken. Having to ask people constantly and repeatedly the same questions over and over again is riding on my last nerve. Where are you from? What do you do for a living? Like a really care. I should get a Hurst and drive corpses around. At least you don’t have to talk to the deceased. If you do you should probably be in the loony bin. Every day it’s the same protocol.  Another day of this torture and I may have to drive this automobile off a pier after lighting it on fire. Sadly I cannot.  My family is very desperate.  I have two adolescent kids at home. The mother of my children works for an exotic dance club to pay off are monstrous bills. To add on top of all this woe, she is expecting. I don’t even know if the kid is mine. Another child means a whole lot more responsibilities.  That is why I cannot quit as much as like to. That is why I have to shuttle scientist to and from their convention on this depressing night.
I arrived and strangely the place is deserted. There is only me and two men under the city's streetlights. One looks like an uptight business man. He is wearing a luxurious black tuxedo along with a silk tie. He was cleanly shaven and you could tell he made an effort to stay that way. The man with him was quite the opposite. He wore a tied dyed shirt with extremely baggy pants. He had beads of every colour within his shaggy mane including some that he placed in his matted beard.  The suit got in but the hippie just sat outside starring into the dark abyss. As his looks insinuated the man that was already in the cab asked the other to join him. The hippie said nothing for a few seconds and then agreed to come with us. Surprisingly, they both were staying in a little motel outside of town in the local woods. The smells of the two men intermingled. I assumed that the suit was giving off the smell of aftershave and what seemed to be perfume. While the other man smelt of earth and pot.  It stung my nose hairs. I finally asked them “what do you gentlemen do for a living?” I puked in my mouth a little. Mr Smith (the man in the suit) answered my question first. He had invented a mighty drill for a major oil company. The drill could locate oil sands and drill in half the time of other drills. Running Bear (the hippie) on the other hand invented a way to reduce oil consumption in half. Mr Smith gave Running Bear a humorous glance.  Running Bear didn’t take to kindly to his fellow passenger’s remark. He re bottled by playing with Mr. Smith's tie and harassing him for being a pansy. Mr Smith's face was starting to change into many shades of red. He angrily asked Running Bear to stop but Running Bears taunt attack only continued. I looked away and turned on the music. After so many years in the cab business, I was getting tired of having to listen to people’s petty problems. All of a sudden there was a deafening crunch and then silence. I stopped the cab and slowly turned around.

No comments:

Post a Comment