Running Bear lay slumped over in his seat, with blood gushing out of his head. Mr. Smith sat there with a gleam of rage in his eyes. He didn’t move as if he was paralyzed. Had I killed both of these men? Then Mr. Smith pulled up his hands to get a good look at them. They were drenched in Running Bear’s blood. That was when I noticed the cracked window. I can only assume that Mr. Smith was fed up with Running Bear’s antics so he decided to get rid of him. Mr. Smith stared at me and sloppily dragged the body outside with him. I tried urgently to phone the police but to no avail. The trees were blocking the signal. With gun in hand (which cabbies are now required to have) I left the taxi to try to find Mr. Smith. I found him hunched over Running Bear’s body near the river. He was mumbling a few words that I could not make out . There was a little flash and then Running Bear burst into flames. In a few seconds he was completely engulfed by is firery foe. Mr. Smith strolled towards me and in a monotone voice told me to get back in the cab. Once we were both in the cab Mr. Smith offered me a proposition. In return for my silence about this event he would give me free gas for a lifetime and money for a new cab. I would have to destroy the evidence which remained of Running Bear. My fantasy was coming true. The rest of the ride was uneventful. I pulled to a stop outside the motel. As Mr. Smith was getting out of the taxi he hissed one thing “Tell anyone about this and my friends at the oil company will make sure you and your family will be erased from the grid”. With that last warning Mr. Smith disappeared into luxurious motel. I started to wonder if Mr Smith was going to be praised once he returned to work. Why did I care? Then a thought hit me. Maybe I would be better driving in a funeral procession, giving rides to the already dead instead of having passengers die during their ride.
No comments:
Post a Comment